Thursday, May 23, 2013

May 1, 2013

I still haven't gotten the chance to go get the cheesecake, but I haven't spent the money, so I'll do it at some point.

We've gone outside once thus far for exercise, but I feel like getting ready to go out takes up too much of what little time we have, and I just went running anyway. We've apparently actually tried contacting people by joining in the Tai Chi groups, but they all are so focused that absolutely none of them ever answer. Oh well. I think you can probably leave the bands at home too.

I haven't had the chance to email president yet (I'm doing that today), so I don't have authority to change it, which makes the 5th not an option. However, the 19th is Stake Conference, which is held at the 65th street chapel (the temple) which happens to be on the same street as the Buckner's apartment. If you could get in touch with them to see if they're willing to do that (and get me their address, otherwise I'd have to make sure I saw them at the conference), then I think we can do it on Robin's birthday instead, President Morgan approving. (for the record, a number of people have now stated that Dad looks a lot like President Morgan upon seeing my family photos.)

When you go to HCP this summer, look for a number of Chinese people on Thursday-Closing night. They're my ward. Also, I'm telling the Blairs (senior couple in CT) to try and make contact with you there.

I went to Tasty Dumpling, wasn't bad, still haven't gone to the ice cream place yet. I don't think Ethan will be accustomed to all spicy-ness. I have determined that Asians who can do super hot Asian dishes can't take Mexican that I can to an extent. In essence, you become accustomed to that type of spicy, but other types of spicy are still really hard. Unless his is a blend of all forms, he won't be able to to everything.

I realized something interesting. I don't like getting recognized by members outside of Chinatown. I think it's because typically I only leave CT for P-day, and so we don't have a bunch of time to talk to the people, because we left CT in the first place to buy something.

I got my birthday Chop (the stamp with my Chinese name), but I don't have an ink pad, so that's on the list to buy next week. I also have remembered my Hep A shot, and am going up to the Bronx tomorrow to get the second one (that's where the approved place is for missionaries for some reason.) Got to go to the temple today for an English session as well, which was really good.

Henry came to church on sunday, which was really good (he hasn't come for the last 8 weeks or so. The whole time I've been here.) He also got to listen to my sacrament talk, which was supremely strange when I would pause and hear elder Mok off to the side translating to English.

The Zone conference was all of Manhattan, and it was on March 25th if memory serves. The one with the Orange in her mouth is sister Woo.

My Chinese is still coming along, I'm slowly starting to be able to understand natives more, although phone calls are still horrible. Elder Murray does speak English to me a fair amount, but he still SYLs a lot more than Elder Williams did.

We found a contact named Jen on the street last week, Elder Murray made contact, but had to switch her over to Elder Mok when she started asking about stuff in the Bible. Mok got her number, committed her to read the BoM in 2 weeks. 2 days later she had already read 30 pages, and was saying that she really liked it, it seemed a lot like the Bible, and she felt peace when she read it. Power of the BoM right there. We have a lesson with her on Saturday, really hoping she works out, she's pretty golden at the moment.

Love you all,
Your son/sibling in service,

Elder Christensen

No comments:

Post a Comment