Monday, July 28, 2014

June 4, 2014

The temple was awesome. I was told it was the first of the new presentations, not the newer one.  It definitely provided some new ways of looking at different parts of the Plan of Salvation, I'd say the main new thing I got from it was simply a re-enforcement of the fact that Satan often will try to appear sincerely concerned for us as a way of trying to shake us. It was especially meaningful since we got in a 2 hour long discussion that night with a Canadian Baptist who was just about as friendly as one could be while implying that the other party is doomed to hell (us). For the record Dad, all those books that the people would pull out when you would stop by on your mission have now been put online. He was using his phone to pull out quotes from books written by apostles that I had never even heard the title of before. I surprised myself by coming up with a good answer to all of them though (thank you Holy Ghost). I just said that as missionaries, we teach the basic doctrine as found in the BoM, the D&C, the Pearl of Great Price, and the bible. Anything else, even if written by an apostle, is their opinion, and not official doctrine, even if true. The real moral of the story though was that even though he was super nice about it, I could tell that the spirit was not guiding the conversation, although I could feel it help us answer his questions at various points.

Xxxx Xx Xxxx is still on track for June 22, we had good lesson with him yesterday evening, the only problem was that he miss-heard the last reading assignment we gave him on Sunday. He read 2 Nephi 12 instead of 2 Nephi 2. Needless to say, he was a bit confused from having been asked to read the Isaiah chapters. He's still doing well though.

Xxx Xxx Xxx, (my first baptism) took sister Chan and Dong, and Elders Cook, Murray, Wang and I out for dinner on Monday. We tried to tell her that we had other stuff planned, so she wouldn't be able to take Wang and I, but she wasn't taking no for an answer, and then Elder Wang slipped up by saying that our other plans were not a lesson, so she knew it was probably something we could re-schedule. Still really tasty food though. She just got called this last Sunday as the second counselor in the Relief Society presidency. She's also coming on the ward trip for pageant from the 17-19th of next month, so you can probably expect her to want to take pictures with you.

We've had 4 baptisms in the last 2 weeks, with another 2 scheduled for this coming Sunday. The work moves on.

I had 粽子 for the first time yesterday. They're the Chinese equivalent of tamales, a lot of white rice with some pork and peanuts steamed in bamboo leaves. Pretty tasty, but they are killing my stomach now, so I don't know if I will have them again any time soon.

I found out they have Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings in Chinese for the books. You can add them to my Christmas wish list as well.

Elder Murray and Sister Chan are going to the temple with president today, he has a tradition of taking the dying missionaries the week before they go home. It's crazy to think about the fact that it was over a year ago now that I was companions with Elder Murray. Soon I'm going to be hitting my year mark of when I went up-state.

Love, your son in service,
Elder Christensen
陳少駒

No comments:

Post a Comment