Sunday, October 27, 2013

October 23, 2013

I can cross something off my bucket list this week that I'm betting Ethan was never able to do during his mission. Fencing. Pictures will follow, especially since there's a decent chance that we will be going back there again for next week's P-day. Suffice to say that it is a much more complicated process than it appears to be. Congratulations to humanity on managing to turn a fight to the death into a highly-regulated emotionally-detatched event.

We have Zone Conference this Friday. We're guessing that is when they will give us the green light for Facebook, but SLC is backed up on the iPads, so those won't be available for most missionaries until December or later.

The ward here is doing a trunk-or-treat for the kids as a Halloween activity, which will be interesting. Especially since I'm not allowed to be outside after 6 pm on Halloween, New Years, or Christmas, and 8 pm on the 4th of July. I checked, Christmas just happens to be on a P-day this year, so I'm going to have an eternal P-day on Christmas. Merry Christmas to me (a few months early).

We re-taught Xxxxx the Word of Wisdom, the last time we had taught it he briefly mentioned that he was still drinking tea, and we decided that we wanted to re-teach it with a focus on tea. Then we got in the lesson and found out that he had decided to give up tea cold turkey after we had just barely mentioned it, we didn't even try to get a commitment out of him to stop drinking it, and he gave it up. He's awesome. If he gets baptized before he goes back to China, he's going to get most of the ward present for his baptism, everybody knows who he is.

We have another new investigator I might not have told you about, Xxxxxxxx Xxxxxxxx (sister Xxxxxxx), who is showing a fair amount of promise. She was raised Catholic, but her parents never actually went to church, they just forced her to go for some reason. She really likes the Plan of Salvation (PoSal). Really hard life, but she's really good, and happens to have a convert of 3 years who lives literally across the street from her. Which for this area is about a 1 in 100,000 chance or less, unless Heavenly Father is pulling the strings.

It was the Parkers who spoke at the Adult Session of our Stake Conference, thank you for reminding me mom. Really powerful experience that was.

What day will Ethan's classes start/when is he going to get home? That would be helpful for knowing what days are good for being able to Skype home when he is there. Shoot, my 1 year mark is coming up quick. I've already been here in Peekskill for more than 2 months. I know it's affecting my Chinese, but not too badly hopefully. I noticed that the part that feels like it has gone down the most was during our last lesson with Peter, I felt like I was stumbling a lot more over the phrases than I ought to have been. That said, I might be going back down to Chinatown in 3 weeks, and if that is the case there is a good chance I would have about 56 weeks or so of non-stop Chinatown, which would be awesome.

I think you won't need to worry about registering me that early for classes mom, my deferral is for Aug. 2015, and while I'm not putting much thought into it at the moment, the idea of going to China and teaching English for a few months during the in-between before Pageant sounds very appealing. Also, President Morgan sends missionaries during the Christmas transfer home a few weeks early (ex: Elder Foley started his mission Jan. 6th, he goes home this year Dec. 16th. So depending on how he works it out next year there is a decent chance I'm going to be a one christmas missionary.

Love you all,
Your son/sibling in service,
Elder Christensen

No comments:

Post a Comment