Wednesday, October 30, 2013

October 30, 2013

So...Facebook is officially weird. I'll give you a run-down on how the system is supposed to work. We are allowed to use Facebook for proselyting purposes only. If anyone tries to chat us to talk about other stuff, then we ask them to please remember that we are missionaries, and that if they want to talk about this stuff, shoot us an email and we will be more than happy to get back to them on P-day. We can give out our FB page to people on pass-along cards if we want, and the goal is to use Facebook as a method of building trust in people to the point where they are willing to meet with the local elders if they live outside of our area. We can also use it to stay in touch with investigators/members who are out of town for a time, and teach lessons using the chat and also Skype. (ex: Skype call, and copy a section of a conference talk from LDS.org to the FB chat box and ask them to read it out loud over the phone.) So if you could all avoid sending me FB messages about funny stuff in the news, that would be cool. I would hate to have to block a post you had made on my wall. If you haven't noticed yet, my FB account has cleaned up a bit (I hid about 100 pictures, and I've been going through and hiding all the old posts that weren't necessary for a missionary profile. The symbolism for Repentance is actually quite significant.) I actually am going to need to change my profile picture again to one of just me, and you still have my MTC photos, so if there are any that are good photos of only me in missionary garb, feel free to post them on FB, and I'll see if I can make them my profile pic. If not, I can always just take one myself and up-load it, I just don't want to if I don't have to.

On the topic of updated technology, we are getting iPad Minis on Nov. 14th-16th, and I will keep that iPad for the rest of my mission, so long as I don't do anything to get it taken away. We will also all get iPhones for each companionship. We are asked to only spend about 1-1.5 hours on the internet a day, although if we have scheduled lessons then we can be on for honestly as long as we need to. The iPads are to be installed with a storage unit (physical or program is not clear currently) that will save everything we type and view, and during interviews with President, he will have the capacity to quickly view everything that we have done to double check that we aren't abusing this privilege. On the event of failure to use the internet during missionary hours for missionary work, we will lose the iPad and our internet privilege for the rest of our mission. No second chances. Currently, I am still in the set-up process, but hopefully within about a week or two you will see me put up a post announcing much of this same material to all my Facebook Friends, and at that point I will officially begin online missionary work. Also, we are required to friend President Morgan and his wife, as well as our APs, ZLs and DL [Assistants to the President, Zone Leaders and District Leaders: missionary leadership].

As far as the rest of this week, the Zone Conference on Friday where President Morgan announced all this stuff was awesome.

Xxxxx is doing well, he is now fully living the Word of Wisdom, and has committed to keep the law of Tithing once baptized. He goes back to China on the 21st of November, and then he won't be back to the USA until April 2nd, so we're really hoping he can get an answer prior to his departure on if he should get baptized.

Thank you for not sending me a Halloween box Mom, trust me, the members here are keeping me very well fed, it's quite surprising that I haven't put any weight on since I came up here. Fun fact, we aren't allowed to be out past 5 now on Halloween, so we'll have a nice long evening indoors.

I have noticed that while I was never tired getting up in the morning in Chinatown, I have been struggling a bit in the mornings with being really out of it. I think the fact I'm riding in a car/sitting in front of a computer so much as opposed to walking around has decreased my energy levels. Oh well, time to work out harder in the mornings.

Love you all, stay safe,
Your son/sibling in service,
Elder Christensen

No comments:

Post a Comment