Wednesday, October 8, 2014

July 9, 2014

I went out to dinner with a member last Saturday. He took us to a
restaurant on 33rd Street and Madison, Elder Wang said it was the first
authentic SiChuan (his home province) food he's had since coming to
NYC. We had Curdled Pigs Blood and pig intestines as part of the meal.
The blood actually just looks like really dark tofu and tastes like
nothing, the intestines tasted okay but were SUPER chewy, which
surprised me. I was expecting the stomach to be chewier (I've had the
stomach quite a few times, it is actually pretty tasty.)

Everyone here is obsessed about the World Cup. Did you know it only
happens once every four years? I didn't.

Today is my 18 month mark of entering the MTC. No way to get around
it, my time left is starting to feel a little short. I guess just
keep working away as focused as I can.

I saw that Mom wrote her email at 2:30am and laughed inside, knowing
that mom has such a hard time with staying up late. Don't worry Mom,
you can sleep the whole ride back to Utah in another 2 weeks or so.

Sister MacKay made a Café Rio dinner for the missionaries as our 4th
of July party. We had to eat in the stairwell again because the
building our chapel is in was closed for the day. We also were allowed
to go up on the roof to watch fireworks, after roughly 9-10 months of
my mission having lived in this building, you would think I had gone
up on the roof at some point. Nope, that was my first time.

One of the less active members that only shows up on fast Sunday to
give a pre-written testimony for 10-15 minutes didn't show up. We
don't know why, but we just hope he doesn't come again next month. He
kills the spirit during the meeting, and it gets really lame,
especially because half the congregation (Chinese natives included)
can't understand a thing he says because he shouts everything and
reads a bunch of random scriptures super fast.

Elder Cook, Elder Radford and I set a deal that we would all read
the BoM all the way through in Chinese by the time Elder Cook and I
head home. I set a similar goal back in January you may recall, but it
failed epicly due to lack of support group/accountability/still
didn't know a ton of the characters. I know a few more now at least,
and my reading speed for the ones I do know has gone up a lot.

We've started working with a new guy named Xxxxx, he is a sophomore in
high school, pretty solid, basically the whole issue just revolves
around whether his family will be willing to come to church with him
or not. He said that they have Sunday set as side for family time, so
whatever they do, they have to do it together. Hopefully he can talk
them into coming.  He said his dad at least might be down for it. Oh,
his family is from 天津市, it's a large city about 2 hours away from
BeiJing, so yes, he is Chinese, and has a wonderful pirate accent to
boot. (People from the north often swap out a lot of other sounds for
an "Arrrr" sound, which makes them sound pirate-y, and also a lot
harder for me to understand.)

Go find someone who has been prepared to hear the gospel before
performance time, and keep in contact with them so you can find out
when they get baptized a few months later!

Love, your son in service,
Elder Christensen
�少�

No comments:

Post a Comment