Sunday, January 5, 2014

November 13, 2013

Transfer Results are in. I'm staying in Peekskill. That said, if I don't leave next transfer (Dec. 18th), then I'm going to wind up outside of Chinatown for as long as I was IN Chinatown, so I'm pretty confident that I'll be back down there for the Holidays. I'm still with Elder Hernandez too. In fact, during the 3 transfers it's looking like I'm likely to be here for, the only change my entire district will have is when Elder Wang left and Elder Hernandez came in. The other 3 companionships have been the same 2 elders the entire time I've been here. Elder Blonquist came upstate this cycle too, took him long enough. I was in Chinatown for 4 cycles, he was there for 11.

We received confirmation. Ipads and Iphones will be passed out to our missionaries on Friday. How's that for different from Ethan mission wise? He's in Africa, and I'll be Facebooking on an Ipad.

I ate at a Pub for the first time yesterday. The Quiet Man is a little Irish Pub (on Division Street in Peekskill) that one of our members took us to. First time ever eating Pork Schnitzel, it was amazing. I'm also learning that outside of Chinatown, one should just expect to have a desert after the main meal. (Thank you for not doing that to us growing up Mom. I'm sure I'd be very fat if I grew up like that).

In other news, one of our investigators accepted a baptism date for Dec. 21st (right after I leave...). She's really cool, her parents are determined not to let her raise her son (age 7) as anything other than Catholic though, so she's still working on figuring that part out.

Our ward, rather to my surprise I found out, doesn't do a Christmas party/meal/thing. Instead, they do a GIGANTIC Thanksgiving feast. The rough description I've heard is about 250 people with enough food to feed probably around 600, in a ward that only has about 200 members that come every week. That's a week from this Saturday, and we've been told it is awesome for getting less-active members and friends of members to come to the Chapel. Should be fun.

I got to discuss human cloning with an investigator for the first time this last week too. He's a really smart kid (15). Bro. Erickson, the member we brought along with us, had a great analogy on the topic. "Human cloning is like when we take an acorn from an Oak tree, and plant it in the ground. We didn't actually make the seed, or the tree that will grow from it, or anything. God did, he just let us plant it."

Winter is officially right around the corner here. We had snow in the morning a few days ago, and it's been "suit coat with a sweater on underneath and my coat on above" kind of weather. Which of course means that it's time for the battery in our car to die, and once we jump it the electronics in the car are all messed up. ex: the heater. The AC works fine though oddly enough. Actually, all the electronics are completely fine except for the heater, which is just lame.

I had an investigator offer to set me and my companion up on dates with her 18 year old daughter when she comes back from college next week. Awkward.

We have a new missionary here, Sister Jensen, who went to Davis [High School], she was in several of my seminary classes, I've known her since about 8th grade. She is being trained in South Manhattan, so I didn't see her at the transfer meeting, but when they announced the name I spent about 3 seconds going "I know that name..."

Life is good, pubs have really good food,
Your son/sibling in service,
Elder Christensen

No comments:

Post a Comment