Sunday, August 18, 2013

July 16, 2013

My lesson of the week: If the watch is only 25 dollars and says it's a Rolex, not only should you not trust it to actually be one, you should also assume that it will break fairly quickly. Well played street vendors, well played.

My actually spiritual lesson of the week was in the form of a contact. I saw a man with long bright pink hair, a decent number of face piercings, and a lot of scars on his arms pushing a stroller with a bag in it. I said the obligatory "how are you doing sir?", he kept walking, and then suddenly turned around and shouted "There you are!" Naturally this was a bit of an "oh crap" moment, but 10 minutes, 1 Book of Mormon placed and a restoration pamphlet given later, I realized that especially in NY, you really can't judge a book by it's cover.

Sister Hazen's spiritual experience went thus: she took us all up to the top of the hill, set up the chairs in a circle on the grass, had us close our eyes, and as they played church hymns, they put objects in our hands that were to remind us of the savior's life (fake lamb doll, small cross, bundle of cloth, stuff like that.) then we had a free for all testimony meeting the next day after we all went to the church sites.

I'm going to guess that Pres. Morgan will say that the new dress code thing doesn't count for us, not hot enough during the summer, and he HATES sandals.

After determining that I am sick and tired of my new suit pants being exceedingly tight, I have started to work out my abs again. It currently feels like someone ran over my stomach with a lawn mower. That's what I get for not working them out in close to a year.

Most recent P-days have been spent doing group activities as the zone, so not really games, but doing a lot of fun, almost vaguely touristy stuff. (I still have yet to go into Grand Central Station, even though I've ridden trains through it a large number of times.) Speaking of the subway, I've now memorized about 60% of the subway system on Manhattan, I'm going to miss trains when I get home. I think I'll use the Front Runner and Trax a lot. Buses are still a weird thing for me.

Use the talking time Robin, the people there are ones who DECIDED to be there, in some way shape or form, every single one of them WANTS to have you talk to them. Trust me, it's easier than trying to talk to Chinese strangers, most of them hate talking to people they don't know. Even if they've already had cast member talk to them, it will help them pass the time better, without as much boredom tempting them to just go home and come back later on one of the other nights.

The Blairs said they liked pageant, although they got a little wet the first night. Also, they showed me some pictures of you all in costume, If you could send me some of those next week though, that would be fun.

Service project of the week: cleaning out a hoarder's apartment. The guy had computer parts from back when dad was in High school I think. Plus about 3000 floppy disks, 6 joy sticks, 12 flight simulator games, and I would estimate about 100,000 pages of manuals on how to run various ancient computer programs. Oh, and a number of other crazy things. Super fun.

Love you all, Drink a lot of water, (I am)

Your son/sibling/companion in service,
Elder Christensen
PS, Have fun seeing my ward! Make sure you communicate through Pres. Buckner so you know where they are/what day they come, and take pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment