Sunday, August 18, 2013

June 19, 2013

Chinese is right on the edge right now for me (or so it feels). I have finally learned to some extent how to hear the actual words in the long stream of strange sounds, and my vocabulary is large enough that I can actually recognize a decent amount of what is said (depending on the topic of conversation), but I can't quite get the words in Chinese to just instantly mean what I know they mean, I still have to think for a second before I can understand, or else sometimes just translate it into English first (which can take longer, especially since if I try that, I tend to forget about 70% of the sentence.) On the cool side, I can actually read the scriptures in PinYing and typically understand what the verses are, even if I have to guess some times on a couple of words. (not characters at all though)

Elder Wang actually sweats a ton more than me. He'll be dripping if he's sitting in a suit at 70 degrees, which is really funny to watch. I need to wash my sheets this coming week anyway because I'm going on splits with the zone leaders next Tuesday, and Elder Mok DESPISES sleeping in other people's beds precisely because they don't wash them enough.

The Dragon Boat Festival was fun, but I forgot my camera (sorry). We ended up not doing the raingutter regatta aspect, which was good because it was way too much effort for the turnout that we got (decent # of people, but 0 children). I also found out afterwards that we are not allowed to be outside after 6 on Halloween and New Years, and only until 8 on the 4th of July. It's still windy here, and it hasn't gotten above 80 yet, most of the time it hovers between 60 and 75, which is pretty nice.

Had my 2nd interview with President Morgan, we talked about pageant a lot actually.

If you see my ward on 18th-20th, or the Blairs between the 12th and 13th, say high to them for me. (my ward is all Chinese, with a bishop who is 6"5', and the Blairs are wearing missionary tags.) I might try and organize a specific time and place for you to meet (near the information kiosks for example.)

Elder Blonquist's Grandparents and little brother came and visited with him for 1.5 hours yesterday, he said his brother had grown about a foot (he's 12.) Apparently it is okay to meet with some family members briefly, with the mission president's express approval. Too bad you don't have a car while you're up there.

YAAAAAAYYYYYY, Granola.

If you find any new suits in a 39 or 38 inch chest, preferable 2 slits on back, 2 buttons, please send them out, or else I am going to need to fix the pinstriped one fairly soon. (how do you think that suit would look if I told them to put on elbow pads? that might be cheaper.)

Tell Robin to learn how to drive one of the other cars, it will help her get more practice, and she might need to drive one of them still come fall.

John Thompson is training his firstborn son, who also happens to be named elder Christensen (from Oregon, probably no relation).

Love you all,
Your sibling/son in service,
Elder Christensen version Chinatown.

No comments:

Post a Comment