Sunday, December 21, 2014

September 17, 2014

There are a lot of restaurants in Chinatown, which means there are also a lot of restaurant supply stores. We went in one a long time ago because we were bored on Pday, and we stumbled across them (Æbelskiber pans). I think they were just plain metal though not cast iron, but I would need to double check. I'll probably need to keep it, since I doubt any missionaries in Chinatown will keep using it after I die. I can ship it with a bunch of my short sleeve shirts and some books as well to free up space in my suitcases.

Your comment on Robin being able to kick your butt but needing to catch you first was hilarious.

The associates gave us all scholarships too, which is extremely nice. Plus, it will free up some of my schedule to be able to take a Chinese Minor, which I might not have been able to do with all the generals as well.

The Æbelskieber thing is a reward for the Zone. If we hit our goal for member-present lessons this week, then I'll make them all breakfast. 12 people, so to fit it into the morning schedule I'll probably need to split it into just one or 2 companionships a morning, and rotate them all through.

Elder Wang ShuangZhe made us a traditional Chinese treat as well, you make a basic dough from flour, baking....whichever is Sodium BiCarbonate, yeast and water, let it rise, take a small amount, roll into a ball, flatten it, put it into your hand and make a cup in the center of it. Take a mix of 50/50 flour and sugar, spoon it into the cup, fold the edges over until you have created a little roll with the flour/sugar mix in the center, put it on the counter with the (closed) hole down, smash it flat, then spray a frying pan, the "pancake" will have a lot of flour on it because you've been using your hands on it so much. The flour doesn't matter, just put it in the pan, fry it until the side down looks cooked, flip over, once the other side is done, pull it off, you can eat it pretty quick, and they are best when fresh anyway. The pancake can be anywhere from 3 to 6-7 inches diameter, just depends on how much dough you use. Remember to use more of the SugarFlour if it is a bigger one. You can try it when you have time, they are quite tasty, and you can split it open and stuff things inside too. Elder Wang called them TángBîng (糖饼) it just means sugar cookie/pancake.

Part of the reason why I don't include as many stories is because I can't remember them as much, being a district leader in the model district drains a lot of my time, I haven't been able to write in my journal more than once every week or two for the last several months, and so it is harder to remember what stuff I wanted to tell you. I'll try and pull out some fun ones though.

We had a mom come to English class this Saturday who brought her 2 year old daughter. She's been coming for about 6 months, and she almost always brings the kid, who is SUPER cute, and also likes to run around about as much as Eli did when he was that age. We were all used to her running around, and so we weren't paying quite as much attention, just making sure that she didn't leave the room that her mom was in (the chapel). Then we all heard a loud alarm go off and lights started flashing. Sure enough, the little girl had climbed on a chair and pulled the fire alarm. We couldn't figure out how to turn it off, so we had some missionaries go downstairs and explain to the doorman so that he could call the fire department before the trucks came over, and the rest of us just kept teaching class, since there was no way to turn the alarm off, and the time wasn't up yet. Teaching English class while a fire alarm is blaring is an interesting experience.

We had two little girls baptized this week as well, both were ward baptisms, but it still is really good to see a baptism. It only started 45 min. late because one of the fathers went home to make fresh sushi for the refreshments before he went to the chapel on 15th street where the baptism was actually happening. We also still have no ward mission leader, haven't since May, it's starting to be a bit of a long time.

My companion has been developing mystery rashes/itchy spots on his arms and legs now for quite some time. We have yet to determine the source, but it would appear that he is allergic to something. My unofficially diagnosed eczema is also still having fun hanging around on my wrist and the back of my hand, but it really is just the same as when my hands would get really dry during the winter back in Utah, just now it happens all year long.

We talked to a guy on the street yesterday who seems interested, English though, and moving to the Bronx in a week or two, so we won't see him for that much longer. Really nice though.

I learned how to say Plaintiff and Defendant during language study a few days ago. No, I never actually use most of the crazy words I learn, but I learn them so that when someone uses them I can understand what they say. I also found out how to say car sick.

Hopefully that was enough story for you,
Love you,
Your son/sibling in service,
Elder Christensen

陈少驹

No comments:

Post a Comment